Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Looking to Make a Difference

Last week I went to my first Canadian Hard of Hearing Association (CHHA) meeting. It was definitely interesting to walk into a room where the average age looked to be atleast 65. I think even they were thrown off by someone my age looking to become a member of their association. Despite the obvious age difference we do share a lot of similar struggles and I really can learn a lot from their experiences and advice. Unfortunately, it did reveal that there is a lack of trained emotional support mechanisms in place for people who have experienced hearing loss. What they do have is a group of individuals from all walks of life with a common problem that come together to share their experiences and support eachother, which is better nothing at all.

CHHA has also been more than happy to have me involved in their group, expressing the need for some "young blood". I have signed on to join their golf tournament committee and it is my goal to really help them promote the association and reach out to a younger demographic. It became obvious to me very quickly that they had no idea how to promote themselves and let people know they exist.

Overall, it was a great experience and I really believe that I can make a difference to this group and in the lives of many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment