Friday, March 11, 2011

Firsts

I have been reading a lot lately about people's experiences post CI surgery and it made me think back to when I wore my hearing aids for the first time. As an 18 year old I was absolutely mortified at first that this was going to be a part of my life and who I was. However, this quickly lead to a feeling of astonishment at what I was actually able to hear; there was an entire world of sounds that I had never heard before.

So, I empathize with those who are going through this experience. Imagine the thrill you would feel by hearing your child for the first time, being able to understand the lyrics to your favorite song or waking up to the sounds of birds chirping outside of your window. These are all experiences we sometimes take for granted that aren't true for everyone.

Thank you to those who are sharing their experiences with the world. Your openness allows others to see life in a different light.

No comments:

Post a Comment