Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Accepting Your Hearing Loss

I recently had a conversation with someone who was encouraged by their doctor to get a hearing aid after discovering a significant hearing loss. This discovery was several months ago and when I asked why they have delayed for so long I was surprised to hear that it was mostly superficial reasons. It's funny that in my 10 + years wearing hearing aids I sometimes forget what those first few days, weeks and months are like. When I first got my hearing aids I was self-conscious, scared and embarrassed. I chalked these feelings up to being an already self-conscious teenager but these feelings can be applied to people of any age who are initially dealing with their hearing loss. My advice to these people is ... yes, it's hard at first but it will subside over time when you begin to realize all of the positives that come from using hearing aids. You may not notice at first but soon you will find that your ability to communicate with others will improve dramatically. Conversations one-on-one, in a group and even in noisy situations will become easier. So, even though it can be difficult to admit that one needs a hearing aid, all experience shows that the use of hearing aids can improve one's life significantly.

2 comments:

  1. Yes,I agree with you that it's too difficult at first but time will come that you will realize all of the positive thoughts of using hearing aids... So, don't feel bad. Be strong and a positive thinker...
    hearing and dizziness Inverness Fl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support. It's always great to know that I have a large support base there for me.

    ReplyDelete