Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hooked on a Feeling

This morning I was ironing my shirt for work and as I was doing so I could feel the metal of the ironing board below the protecting fabric pad. I didn't have my hearing aids in but I could have sworn I heard the sound it was making and then it occurred to me, I'm not hearing it ... I'm feeling the sound.

I thought about this while I walked to work and I realized that I know what the sound should be because I've heard it 100 times before. So, even though I can't actually hear it, when the action happens I can hear the sound in my head as if I did. Now I'm wondering, how many other things like this happen to me on a day to day basis where I can see or feel an action and my brain processes a sound that should go along with it.

P.S. sorry about the blog title; I'm sure you have the song stuck in your head now.

No comments:

Post a Comment