Thursday, May 12, 2011

Where are the Hard of Hearing?

As I left my Hard of Hearing Association meeting last night I felt frustrated with the lack of young people involved with CHHA. At 30 years old, I am the youngest person actively participating in the association and I am starting to feel a little lonely in a group made up of mostly retirees. Where are all the young hard of hearing people in this area?

From my own personal experience, a group like this would have been incredibly beneficial to me when I first got my hearing aids. I was 19 and I felt like I had no one to relate to because all of my hard of hearing peers were adults or seniors. I know they exist and I know what they may be going through; I just need to find them.

I don't intend to leave CHHA, I'm simply just more motivated to search under every rock to find others like me, that are young adults or young professionals living in a hearing world. If you are, or know of people like me comment on this blog, tell me where you are and lets change the face of hard of hearing in Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment