Thursday, January 21, 2010

Did You Hear That?

I just picked up my new ears from the Audiologist. I got the Epoq XW OBTE-Rite Power and so far so good. I have been mentally preparing myself about going behind ear for the past couple weeks. As much as the size bothers me, they really are a lot better. I'm already hearing things I had never heard before, which is really exciting and annoying all at the same time. I can hear the TV from the kitchen now and I can hear a car door close outside from inside the house. But, I can also hear the sound of my coat rubbing on itself when I move my arms and to my surprise yes, the fish tank really is as loud as my girlfriend says it is ... who knew!

Things also sound different. Sounds aren't just amplified louder they are in moderation, which is what I assume most people would hear like. The true test will come when I'm in a loud room with a lot of people. I have always struggled with this regardless of what model hearing aid I've had. Old models are almost painful in those loud situations because everything is even louder and directional models never seem to know what sound to focus on. This new model already seems more balanced.

On the downside, I'm getting a little feedback but that is probably due to a little wax residue in my ear that will eventually clear out. I've got two weeks to put them through their paces before I go back to the audiologist to get some fine tuning done. I also noticed that "s" and "sh" sounds don't sound quite right depending on the volume so that's another thing that might need to be adjusted soon.

Overall, I'm pleased so far and hopefully will stay this way. I think I'm going to be happy with these.

On a side note, thank you to everyone for reading my blog and leaving comments. It's very encouraging to know that people are looking at this and giving it some thought. I also appreciate the words of support, they mean a lot to me as do the people who give them.

6 comments:

  1. Rob, these are great reads and I'm proud of you for doing it. In reading your comments, I can see that you have already impacted people who don't know you. As one of those friends who knew you about as well as anyone could prior to and since you were diagnosed with hearing loss I can say that you are the same person on the inside, and that's what matters to your friends. Keep up the good work. I'm excited for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lets see some pics of these bad boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all so interesting Rob. How amazing is modern science that these "new ears" can be adjusted to make you hear such subtleties. The combination of unwelcome sounds with the welcome is fascinating.
    Keep up the good work -- I'll be interested to hear how it went at the wedding since that will be a venue with many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous is your Aunt Dee Rob, because I can't remember my Google login - I'll get it figured out eventually

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone struggling with hearing loss for the past 25 year, I am amazed at the advances in H A technology. Along with this progress is the higher cost of the digital hearing aids. One of my pet peeves is the fact that employer benefit packages and government assistance has not kept up to date with costs in this area. How does the average person fork out $5000 for decent aids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely feel your pain when it comes to the cost of hearing devices and the lack of assistance provided. The $500 per ear that the government provides is only valid every 3 years and my employer's contribution is minimal. With top of the line hearing aids running from $5000 - $8000 it's pretty obvious that people are just out of touch with how much of a financial setback this can be. I've pointed this out to my employer who assists way more financially to cover the costs of dental work or eye-glasses. For the sake of all folks who require hearing aids keep pushing for more financial help and hopefully, one day they will answer the call for help.

    ReplyDelete