Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cocktail Party Syndrome

Last night was Mike and Kelly's wedding in NOTL. It was a fantastic ceremony and reception and I had a great time. It was also the first test for my new hearing aids in a loud room with a lot of background noise. I normally dread these types of situations and in some cases become a bit reclusive because it's very difficult for me to hear much of anything; all of the sounds blend together for one overwhelming experience. However, last night was much better than it has been in the past. There were a couple folks that I talked to over the course of the night that I struggled to hear more than others; but I assume that's the same with everyone. I have always struggled with women's voices more so then men; it's the higher frequencies that I struggle to hear the most. Overall, I was very happy with how I was hearing things last night and that helped me to have a great time.

It was also great last night to hear the encouraging words from my friends about this blog. I was slightly surprised to hear that so many had read it and how much they liked it. I was thankful that this blog has initiated a dialogue with people and myself to talk about the situation and I find it very therapeutic. It's a bit humorous and frustrating that it took me this long to have the confidence to talk about it openly about my hearing.

I was also reminded about why it's sometimes great to not hear so well. Apparently, Darren was snoring quite loud most of the night, which kept the girls up. Additionally, the Best Western cleaning staff begins to make the rounds at 3 a.m. which woke up everyone except me!

The next big test will be tonight at the Guns N Roses concert ... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment