Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Think I Found What I Was Looking For

After spending the past few months trying to find something to get involved with at The Canadian Hearing Society, I've given up. I was looking for volunteer opportunities within the organization in an effort to continue to do what I am doing through this blog and reach out to people who are struggling with hearing loss. Added to this frustration are stories from those connected to the deaf and hard of hearing community that keep telling me that the deaf community is not very welcoming to the hard of hearing who choose to use hearing aids. I do see their point and I respect where they are coming from but for someone who grew up as a hearing individual for a number of years and is still very active in the hearing community it's hard to give up my ability to hear when there are options available to me that will help level the playing field. I wonder if the blind community shares a similar opinion of people who choose to wear glasses or undergo laser eye surgery or is it somehow different?

Eventually, after searching through a number of hearing related websites I stumbled upon the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association. Finally, this is a group that I felt instantly connected to. I've just started reading through the site but I find it very exciting that there is a group that exists locally that I can completely relate to. They only meet every few months but I think it's fantastic to know that this group exists and I'm excited to get involved!

I'm also very excited to have finally received the streamer for my hearing aids. This will allow me to have a bluetooth connection directly from my cell phone to my hearing aids. It will also allow me to use my ipod with my hearing aids. I'm really looking forward to trying this out and I will keep you all posted on how it all works out.

5 comments:

  1. That is pretty exciting about the Ipod and phone Rob. This link to this association is great too, maybe some stuff for my Mom so doesn't it feel great to help other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phone connection is awsome! We tried it out this morning and it seems to work really well. Now Rob really will start hearing my nagging voice in his head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that title, I thought you were going to talk about Jody in this post... *wink*.

    Great that you found an association you could relate to! I had never even considered that the deaf community would or could be unhappy and unaccepting of the hard of hearing who choose to use hearing aids. How eye opening for me.

    I would think most people would be encouraging of methods to help improve functioning, and be supportive in general. It's too bad it isn't that way.

    I'm learning so much from this blog already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rob,

    It's me again. May I ask where do you live? From there, I would be able to help you in providing resources on volunteering opportunites within the deaf community.
    I need to point this out - what did you mean that the deaf community would be unhappy and unaccepting of hard of hearing who chose to use hearing aids? What kind of experience did you have?
    I identify myself as a deaf person while I am wearing a hearing aid. I hear and speak pretty well and I use ASL as my mode of communication. I graduated from Gallaudet University.
    I know of many and many deaf and hard of hearing people out there who wear hearing aid and likes to speak/shout (joking around) and they are extremely acceptable by the deaf community.
    As for CHS, I regret what you went through. If you don't mind, maybe we can exchange email address and hopefully i can be able to help you some more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply to this comment; I am just reading it today. I currently live in Burlington, Ontario; if you have any leads on ways I can get involved within the deaf community I would be happy to hear them.

    Although I have never had any bad experiences I have heard from some that they have not received a warm welcome from the deaf community. The reason for the unwelcome response is because those members of the deaf community feel that individuals with hearing loss should accept their loss and learn to adapt their lives without the use of hearing aids. I understand that this isn't everyone's persepective, but it does make me a bit gun shy.

    ReplyDelete